Sunday, March 22, 2009

New Direction

So, I'm going to keep you updated on the whole internship stuff but I'm doing other cool stuff, too.
For example, I'm currently working on a film called "Death By Suicide: A Documentary Story" as a 2nd assistant cinematographer. Basically, that means I'm in charge of the slate. I like it though. I wish I could do a little more, but actually what I do is pretty time consuming.

What is a 2nd assistant cinematographer?
Basically,on this film anyway, it means there is the cinematographer, the head camera person, the one that actually uses the camera and calls out the time codes. Then there is his assistant, known as the 1stAC. The 1stAC makes sure that the batteries are charged, the tapes are labeled correctly, and helps the head camera person setup the equipment. Then there is me, the 2ndAC, which means I am the assistants assistant. When it's explained like that, it sounds really lame, but it's much cooler than that. I actually think it's more interesting than the job the 1stAC has.
I am the person who writes on the slate that is seen before action is called. I get to see every scene and every take.

What is a slate?
The slate is the chalkboard looking thing that has important information for the editors such as scene, take, director, producer, date, and of course the title. When you see it tv, they usually say something like "Scene 24 Take 12" and then the little bar at the top of the slate slams down as "Action!" is called.

This is all I can think of for now, if there is a question that isn't answered, let me know. I'll do what I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment